Jack & Cyl Ugar wanted a mom-and-pop appliance store when they first opened Direct Maytag Home Appliance Center on McHenry Avenue in 1995. The store started in the smallest space of the store strip, roughly 2500 square feet filled with Maytag only. “Something simple, but with quality that meets the needs of Modesto," they said to their one employee at the time, Ron Winter.
“The only thing that really remains the same as 1995 is our dedication to meeting the needs of the many communities we now serve with quality products," says Winter, current CEO and partner who incorporated Modesto Direct Appliance after the Ugars each passed 20 years ago. “I do not think Jack & Cyl would recognize the 22,000 square foot showroom experience store we've created today,but I really believe they would be proud."
Seriously, ANY appliance store shows you refrigerators, ovens, washers and dryers.
And ANY flooring and cabinet store can show you wood samples.
Direct Appliance Flooring & Home brings complete floor-to-ceiling rooms to life enough so you can fully live the kitchen and bath experience.
Appliances in our kitchen vignettes are installed and working, just like they would be in your own home. Floors, countertops, backsplashes, cabinets – all artfully designed and functional, and often used as a resource by local designers, builders and contractors.
At Direct Appliance you can see, hear, smell, taste and feel what it's like to cook in a beautiful kitchen with high-functioning appliances.
Smell satisfaction in a freshly brewed Thermador coffee machine latte or macchiato, see the sear created by Wolf range 20,000 btu burner on that deliciously marbled rib-eye; hear the sizzle of streaky bacon on a JennAir mirror-finish griddle, or feel the crust of Gaggenau steam convected loaf of homemade bread or an artisan pizza baked in the Monogram hearth oven. Or take a cooking class in our KitchenAid Culinary kitchen and feel connected with others who share the love of cooking.
Of course part of the Direct Appliance magic is the personal service at a store that still believes in home-town values. Enjoy truly individualized attention from a staff that lives locally all over our sales region (primarily Modesto, Turlock, Oakdale, Ripon, Atwater and Sonora,) and that very well may know your neighbor or your great-aunt or attended your hometown school. And rest assured that with very nil sales staff turnover, your sales associate will still be here even when you need your next appliance.
At Direct Appliance, we truly believe the kitchen is the heart of the home. It's where families and friends tend to gather, where memories are made, and where nourishment is provided in more ways than one. We invite you to experience our store, cook with us in our showrooms and specialized classes, and to live a delicious life -- fully and directly.
A Few Facts:
- Our store started in 2500 square feet in the smallest building in our complex. We expanded next door to the medium building and stayed there for 20 years. We are now in the largest far building and have filled 22,000 square feet with an interactive showroom experience.
- Two of our CEOs, one from appliances, the other from flooring & home, share the same birthdays.
- The majority of our salespeople started out in the delivery of appliances. They average 20 years experience in the appliance industry, which can only be achieved if you truly love helping customers with their kitchens and baths.
- Rest assured, the Tempurpedic and Sealy mattresses we sell have been thoroughly tested for comfort by our employees on their breaks.
- At any given time in one of our 8 live kitchens, there is something being cooked, just been cooked, or getting ready to be cooked. The average weight gain for new employees has been 15 pounds.
- We have a kitchen countertop that completely lights up and is dimmable. We sell and install those, too.